Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Not just surviving, but thriving

Today marks the 12th anniversary of a good friend's very serious health scare.  Although I've only had the pleasure of knowing her for 2 months, she's made an indelible impression on my cold, avaricious heart.  Last night, Kelsey and I went to Party City to get some balloons to celebrate this occasion, even though she's out of town training.  We then gathered with some of the (now former) Arlington Angels (AKA BGRDCARLVAXYZPOGR) to take a photo, which I sent to her via text this morning:
The Angels DO love Janeen!!!!!
She MAY or may not have cried, silly goose.

Here's how she described that fateful day 12 years ago:

11-13-13.....marks 12 years since a brain AVM (arteriovenous malformation) was discovered. Well two as a matter of fact. They were discovered by one if them rupturing. In short I was on disability from work for a year....and was told I wouldn't be able to walk without a walking device (cane or walker). Obviously I thought that was silly. 
Fast forward 12 years and I have so many great people in my
 life that have gave me the confidence to try to go above just walking. I have a half marathon this Sunday...and it's not my first. 
I thought a great anniversary gift to myself would be to do a box jump in crossfit. Now to others that seems like an easy accomplishment....for me not so much. Well I have been working on them I was able to jump on the box but then I sort of fell backwards BUT I got up there. So I consider this a win.
 
So this D Day anniversary I choose to celebrate my awesome friends that motivate me everyday to be more than ordinary.  


She's as beautiful as she is gracious and silly.  The first day I met her, on a neighborhood run, I thought she was MEAN (which rhymes with her first name).  I couldn't have been more wrong.  She isn't as immediately smiley/laugh-y/jokey as I am, and that's a good thing.  When you get to know her, you realize that she has a heart of gold (platinum), and is a joy to be around.

She's running a half marathon (that's 13.1 miles for those of you not "in the know") this Sunday in Philadelphia.  How awesome is that?!


She's a member of the pod.  Here she is...coming to the stage...Janeen!!!!!
Day of the Dead vixen for Halloween 2013

With two of her favorite ladies, and fellow pod members (the one on the right is a reluctant member, but still...)
It's gotta be the shoooooeeeesssss




No comments:

Post a Comment